Friday, October 17, 2008

Week 8 Readings & Week 7 Muddiest Point

HTML Tutorial

I LOVE having hands on practice with what we're reading about! This is definitely the kind of thing that helps me really learn and retain information. I already know a few super easy HTML tags from blogging, but its cool to learn a more about it and more practical uses. I also learned that the strike-through tag I've been using is no longer appropriate does it still work? I guess so, but the delete tag is better.

HTML Cheatsheet

This will definitely come in handy for our website assignment. There's not really much else to say to that. Some of the stuff I still don't really understand its purpose, but I suppose experimentation will help with that. :)

CSS Tutorial

I am really glad we've got a tutorial for this, because I am pretty sure I would not have gotten it otherwise. As it is, I'm having a bit of trouble grasping it, though the many examples is helping make sense of it. Unfortunately, this tutorial isn't as hands on as the HTML one. I wish it had all the text editing practice pages. I really like being able to see the code right next to what it would look like.

Beyond HTML

This article discusses library Content Management Systems (CMS), and how it provides more flexibility and allows librarians to add and manage content on a website without having to know HTML markups, putting the focus on what the page says rather than how it looks. A CMS also allows librarians to reuse the content, without having to create entirely new HTML or anything. A CMS can grant access to many different people to update a website and keep the same presentation standards. This is definitely helpful in maintaining a professional appearance and prevents people from getting carried away with "neat" HTML tricks, which can be extremely distracting.

The article moves on to discuss how the university in question (Georgia State) moved to a CMS and the specific technology they used. The first section is definitely the most helpful in understanding what a CMS is.

Week 7 Muddiest Point

So is Telnet just a remote connection? Is it the most up to date technology for that? Or is there something better than a technology that simulates dial up?

No comments: